The podiatry service aims to provide high quality treatment and advice to help patients maintain independence and mobility, as well as reducing the risk of ulceration, infection and amputation in those at high risk of developing foot problems due to conditions such as diabetes.
What we do
The podiatry service runs a number of clinics depending on the type of treatment required. These include:
- Foot protection: provides assessment and advice for diabetic patients who may be at high risk of developing foot complications such as ulceration.
- Ulcer/tissue viability: the management of new and chronic wounds through assessment, dressings, infection control, offloading, and treatment such as debridement if necessary.
- Biomechanics/musculoskeletal podiatry: the assessment and diagnosis of acute or chronic musculoskeletal conditions. Treatment aims to reduce pain and other symptoms and can include exercises or the prescription of orthoses (insoles).
- Nail surgery: for the treatment of painful in growing or pathological nails to provide a long-term solution involving partial or total removal of the nail under local anaesthetic.
- Routine podiatry: the management of corns, callus, and pathological nails in patients who are at high risk of developing complications if these are left untreated, such as those with neurological or vascular conditions. Please note: the service is unable to provide ongoing routine podiatry care to low risk patients.
- Domiciliary (home) visits: for patients eligible for podiatry care who are bed bound, require hoisting, or are temporarily too ill to travel to clinic for treatment.
Accessing the service
Please contact your GP or health care professional to request a referral to this service as you cannot self-refer. If you are a health care professional you can refer a patient using the Podiatry referral form. If the patient is diabetic, please use the Diabetic foot referral pathway form.
Avalon House, Winchester
Telephone: 01962 831130 (Appointments and queries for Alresford, Alton, Borden, Eastleigh, Lymington, Medstead, and Wickham clinics are also made through this number)
Andover War Memorial Hospital
Telephone: 01264 835292 (Appointments and queries for Kingsclere, Whitchurch, Tadley, and Stockbridge, and Overton clinics are also made through this number)
Bramblys Grange, Basingstoke
Telephone: 01256 356630 (Appointments and queries for Hartley Witney, Hook, and Odiham, clinics are made through this number)