Orthopaedic Choice are a team of clinical specialist therapists and GPs with a special interest in orthopaedics and musculoskeletal conditions based in the South West Hampshire region.
What we do
Our specialist orthopaedic choice team offer a thorough assessment of your condition, this may include further investigations such as x-ray or scans. This will helps establish a diagnosis and identify the treatment options available to you.
We will discuss the treatment options and establish a tailored plan of care to suite your needs. This may include referral to some of the other MSK services of physiotherapy, podiatry or pain team. For specific conditions we may offer a corticosteroid injection. If orthopaedic surgery is to be considered then we will organise referral to an agreed secondary care provider within the region.
Accessing the service
Contact your GP or healthcare professional about accessing this service. They will be able to talk through your options and make a referral to our service if it’s right for you. Once we receive the referral it will be reviewed by a member of the team and you will offered the most appropriate appointment for you.
What should you expect on the first appointment?
This may take the form of a phone or video consultation or if more appropriately then a face to face appointment at one of the location sites of your choosing. It is advisable to wear loose or easily removable clothing if attending a face to face appointment as you may be asked to undress in order for the clinician to complete a thorough examination.
The following information may be useful to help you self-manage your condition:
- The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) for resources on:
- shoulder pain
- back pain
- head/neck pain
- knee/foot pain
- elbow pain
- hip pain
- pain management
- Exercise information from the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy including videos, booklets and exercise sheets. There is also advice if your condition deterioates.
- Pain management advice from the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy including leafets on foot, knee, shoulder, neck and back pain, tennis elbow and carpal tunnel.
- MSKReform - Health and well being advice.
- NHS Choices - many conditions have videos of exercises and self management advice.
- Live well NHS - Advice, tips and tools to help you make the best choices about your health and wellbeing.
- Escape Pain - a group rehabilitation programme for people with chronic joint pain. It is available free of charge on line or via the app store. It offers two programmes; knees and hips and backs.
The following information may be useful to help you self-manage your condition.
- Weightwatchers reimagined - WW and Hampshire County Council are working together and are delighted to offer residents a FREE three month weight management trial. Telephone 0345 602 7068 for more information. Quoting WWRS095.
- Italk - Learn simple and effective ways to look after your everyday wellbeing and stay well. They offer amongst other things evidence based treatment for depression and anxiety, but you do not need a diagnosis to self-refer. Telephone 023 8038 3920.
- Better Health - No matter how much you do, physical activity is good for your body and mind. Adults should aim to be active every day. Some is good – more is better still. A daily brisk walk can boost your energy, lift your mood and make everyday activities easier.
- Smoke free Hampshire - Your stop smoking service for Hampshire. You can self-refer through the web site or call the Quitline on 01264 563039.
- Versusarthritis We're Versus Arthritis. We'll never stop, until no one has to tolerate living with the pain, fatigue and isolation of arthritis.
- https://escape-pain.org/ - Great advice and exercise programme to help with knee and hip pain
https://www.paintoolkit.org/resources/for-patients - Online resource for patients
Flippin' Pain Flippin’ Pain™ is a public health campaign with a clear goal: To change the way we think about, talk about and treat persistent pain. Flippin’ your understanding of pain could change the lives of you and your loved ones forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C48f_Sen4d8 - Lorimer Moseley explains ‘Why Things Hurt’
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3phB93rvI - Understanding pain in less than 5 minutes.
https://my.livewellwithpain.co.uk/ - A wide range of support and help.
https://painconcern.org.uk/ - Support and resources for people with pain.
For appointment and referral queries please:
- Telephone: 0300 003 0806