Using the right service over the festive period

22 December 2023

Christmas-accidents-scaled-2-800x534.jpegIf you are unsure about the services to reach out to for certain issues over the festive period, the Trust is here to help.

It’s important for everyone to be aware of which services they should contact for certain issues. Not only does this ensure the best care for your issue, but often means that you get the care you need quicker. .

Pharmacists are experts in medicines who can help you with minor health concerns. As qualified healthcare professionals, they can offer clinical advice and over-the-counter medicines for a range of minor illnesses, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, stomach troubles and aches and pains.

On the NHS England website, you can find your nearest pharmacy by entering your postcode. Do be sure to check with them what their opening hours will be over the festive period, as you won’t want to be caught out.

NHS 111
This is an NHS number for those who need medical help right in that moment, and professional call handlers can advise about next steps.

There is an exclusive NHS 111 online website which can help service users with:

  • Help for symptoms or injuries.
  • Dental help
  • Mental health help
  • Prescription or medicines information
  • Help with an existing medical condition.

Please only access Accident and Emergency (A&E) services for the most severe symptoms and injuries and think about when you may be able to receive support via pharmacies, NHS 111 or your local GP.

For full information about all of Southern Health services, please take a look at the ‘A-Z list of services :: Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust’ page on our website.

The festive period can be tough for anyone - if you are safe and need someone to talk to, you can get support here: 

If you need other support in a crisis please visit: Help in a crisis :: Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust

Accessibility tools

Return to header