Southern Health has announced the 12 winners of its annual Star Awards, at its first face-to-face staff recognition event in more than two years. The awards were held at the Concorde Club in Eastleigh to recognise NHS teams and individuals who have gone above and beyond in their care for patients.
In total, more than 500 nominations were received from our staff, patients, families and members of the public. A team of judges then had the difficult task of selecting a shortlist of 36 finalists across 12 categories, based around Southern Health’s core values - People and Patients First, Partnership Working and Respect.
The winners range from: healthcare support worker Patrick Johnson at Petersfield Hospital (“loved by the patients as he builds up a very special relationship and goes the extra mile for them”); to the Gosport Leg Clinic Team (“their patience and caring over the time it took to heal my leg ulcer went above and beyond just nursing….they always had a smile and kind word for each and every one of us"); to mental health support worker Margaret Foster (“she will drop everything to go out and see a patient who is unwell…she often stays late and puts her patients' wellbeing above her personal plans").
The full list of winners are: (see shortlist and winners’ citations in notes to editors)
• Developing Others: Charlotte Dodd, Ward Manager, Basingstoke
• Sustainability: Kai Baker, Crowlin House, Southampton
• Research and Innovation: Andy McMillan & the italk quality & innovation team
• Respect and Inclusion: Magdalena Jaciuk and Candy Wong, Crisis Resolution Home Treatment team (Basingstoke)
• Rising Star: Patrick Johnson, Petersfield Hospital
• Lifetime Achievement (all three were judged winners):
o Karen Osola, ECT Lead Nurse, Southampton
o Carol Barnard, Clinical Manager at Hollybank, Havant
o Tracey Eddy, Older People's Mental Health (Mid & North Hampshire)
• Supporting Wellbeing: Lisa Male, Heart Failure Nurse Specialist, Portsmouth and South East Hampshire
• Working in Partnership: International Recruitment Team
• Ambassador: Nicky Creighton-Young, Portsmouth and South East Hampshire
• Patients and People First: Gosport Leg Clinic Team
• Unsung Hero: Margaret Foster, Health Care Support Worker, Portsmouth and South East Hampshire
• Team of the Year: The Willow Group, Gosport
Southern Health’s Chief Executive, Ron Shields, commented: “Every nomination is a reflection of the compassion, enthusiasm and commitment our staff provide to the people they support every day. I really am honoured to lead an organisation with such caring, talented and innovative people who are committed to delivering the best possible care. It goes without saying that I am immensely proud of each and every one of them!”