Informizely customer feedback surveys

[Skip to content]

Southern Health 70 years of the NHS; 1948 - 2018
Search our Site

Get help out of hours

How you get help out of hours will depend on the service you need. If you're not sure, speak to your GP or call 111 for health advice and information, through NHS Pathways.

Concerned woman on telephone

Physical health

If you have a concern about a physical health problem out of hours, speak to your GP. They will have their own out of hours arrangements to ensure you receive the care and treatment you need.

You can also call 111 for out of hours help. We also have minor injuries units at Petersfield and Lymington Hospital who can deal with minor health problems or accidents.

Mental health

If you want to talk to someone about how you're feeling, or what you're experiencing, you can contact:

Both services are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If you already use our mental health services, your care co-ordinator will have provided you with details of what to do out-of-hours if you feel you need help.  

Remember: if it’s an immediate, life-threatening situation always call 999.

To access most of our services you will need to be referred by your GP or health professional.

If you’re not already using our services you’ll normally need to be referred by your GP or health professional. There are some services you can refer yourself to, such as iTalk (psychological therapies service), our learning disability services and Quit4Life (stop smoking service).

You can use our service finder to find out more about how to access our services. If in doubt, speak to your GP or health professional about your health needs.


Ambulance travelling at speed

Remember, if it's an immediate, life-threatening situation, always call 999.

Find services

Use our service finder to get the contact details for your local service

Go to the service finder