Informizely customer feedback surveys

[Skip to content]

Southern Health 70 years of the NHS; 1948 - 2018
Search our Site

Community Learning Disability Teams

We work closely with other services in Hampshire and Southampton to provide specialist learning disability services.

Carer working with a female service user, chopping vegetables

How can we help?

  • We provide specialist health assessments for people with learning disabilities to identify unmet health needs.             
  • We provide direct therapeutic treatment and support to meet a range of physical and mental health needs.      

  • We work with mainstream services to ensure equal and fair access whilst ensuring reasonable adjustments for people with learning disabilities. This may include providing accessible information and signposting to other services.        

  • We support individuals to make choices about their health needs.             
  • We work to ensure a smooth transition into our service through joint working (usually from the last 3 months of the person’s 17th year).        

We specialise in helping people with learning disabilities with their health needs, which could include:

  • Physical health including epilepsy        

  • Behaviours that challenge services including forensic needs            
  • Mental health needs including dementia         

  • Autism        


For more information visit our Specialist Health Care Needs page

Professionals in our teams can include

  • Psychiatry

  • Physiotherapy

  • Occupational Therapy

  • Art Therapy

  • Learning Disability Strategy Health Facilitator        

Who can receive our service               

The person must

  • be aged 18 and over with a learning disability from childhood,

  • have an IQ of under 70,

  • need significant assistance to provide for their own survival,

  • have an unmet health care need that requires specialist learning disability input, that cannot solely be met by generic services.

Our services are based across Hampshire and Southampton in the following localities

West Hampshire

North Hampshire

East Hampshire


How to access the service

Anyone can make a referral to their local Community Learning Disability Team for assessment and intervention. We accept self referrals, or referrals on behalf of others. Please contact your local team for a referral form.

If the person is not eligible for support from our services, we will always try to offer advice on where help is available.

If you want to know more about any of the services we provide, please contact us.

What our service users say

"My son has got further with this team and interacts with them better than he ever did (with his previous care) in 10 years."

"I like that (my support worker) is very nice and caring and understanding to me."

North Hampshire Community Learning Disability Team

“We are writing to thank you for all the wonderful work you have done with B. Without you, your expertise, your commitment and your warm humanity…we feel that B would have taken so much longer to recover. Indeed may not have recovered at all. We have so much to thank you for and now have the security of knowing that should B become ill again we know that a dedicated team of caring people will be there ready to help. From the bottom of our hearts we thank you again so much.”

East Hampshire Learning Disability Community Team

Adult Services/Social Care

For support and information about social care needs (provision of support, activities, daily living and funding) is provided by your Local Authority, and is assessed using government guidance called ‘Fair Access to Care’. More information on this can be found on the Department of Health, Hampshire County Council or Southampton City Council websites.

How to contact Adult Services:-


Hants Direct – 0300 555 1386

Out of Hours – 0300 555 1373


02380 837676 – including out of hours


Useful links

Hampshire Safeguarding Adult Board  

Southampton Local Safeguarding Adults Board

Hants Direct