skip to main content

Help in a crisis

How you get help out of hours will depend on the service you need. If you're not sure, speak to your GP or call 111for health advice and information, through NHS Pathways.


If it's an immediate, life-threatening situation, always call   999.

Find your local  Emergency Department 


Physical health


If you have a concern about a physical health problem out of hours, speak to your GP. They will have their own out of hours arrangements to ensure you receive the care and treatment you need.


You can also call   111for out of hours help.


Minor injuries


We also have minor injuries unitsat Petersfield and Lymington Hospital which are staffed by nurses who can assess and treat people over the age of two who present with minors injuries. 


Mental health


If you want to talk to someone about how you're feeling, or what you're experiencing, you can contact:    


  • 111 - If anyone is experiencing a mental health crisis and is in need of urgent care or support you can speak with mental health nurse via the 111 service. 
  • NHS Pathways  
  • Samaritans   116123 offers a safe place for you to talk any time you like, in your own way – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal.
  • Text service  If you’re experiencing a personal crisis, are unable to cope and need support, text Shout to 85258. More information available on SHOUTs website


These services are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.


If you already use our mental health services, your care co-ordinator will have provided you with details of what to do out-of-hours if you feel you need help. This information may be on your leaflet introducing you to the service,  on your care plan, or your crisis plan. 


If it’s an immediate, life-threatening situation always call 999.


#stayalive app - This app is a pocket suicide prevention resource for the UK, packed full of useful information and tools to help you stay safe in crisis. You can use it if you are having thoughts of suicide or if you are concerned about someone else who may be considering suicide. 


Crisis Lounge 


At Antelope House we have a crisis loungewhich offers a safe haven for people in mental health crisis or who may be experiencing highly distressing symptoms but who have no urgent physical health needs. It avoids having to visit Southampton General’s Emergency Department.  


Contact your local Acute Mental Health Team for information 



To access most of our services you will need to be referred by your GP or health professional. If you’re not already using our services you’ll normally need to be referred by your GP or health professional.    


There are some services you can refer yourself to, such as iTalk(psychological therapies service) and our learning disability services.


You can use our service finderto find out more about how to access our services. If in doubt, speak to your GP or health professional about your health needs.


Useful Links: 

999 for immediate, life-threatening situations 

Mental health 
Page Comments