The aim of the podiatry service is to provide high quality treatment and advice to help patients maintain independence and mobility, as well as reducing the risk of ulceration, infection and amputation in those at high risk of developing foot problems due to conditions such as diabetes.
Who is this service for?
The podiatry service includes several clinics depending on the type of treatment required. These include:
- Foot Protection: Provides assessment and advice for diabetic patients who may be at high risk of developing foot complications such as ulceration
- Ulcer/Tissue Viability: The management of new and chronic wounds through assessment, dressings, infection control, offloading, and treatment such as debridement if necessary
- Biomechanics/Musculoskeletal Podiatry: The assessment and diagnosis of acute or chronic musculoskeletal conditions. Treatment aims to reduce pain and other symptoms and can include exercises or the prescription of orthoses (insoles)
- Nail Surgery: For the treatment of painful in growing or pathological nails to provide a long-term solution involving partial or total removal of the nail under local anaesthetic
- Routine Podiatry: The management of corns, callus, and pathological nails in patients who are at high risk of developing complications if these are left untreated, such as those with neurological or vascular conditions. Please note: The service is unable to provide ongoing routine podiatry care to low risk patients
- Domiciliary (Home) Visits: For patients eligible for podiatry care who are bed bound, require hoisting, or are temporarily too ill to travel to clinic for treatment
Once referred patients will be sent an appointment letter.
Patients seen in foot protection and routine clinics will be assessed in line with the service’s eligibility criteria for ongoing care. If found to be currently at low risk of complications such as ulceration, patients will be discharged from the service with appropriate self-care advice and information on other services such as charity-based nail cutting clinics.
Get access to this service
Contact your GP or health professional to request a referral to this service.
We offer Podiatry services at several Community Hospitals in Hampshire, including Andover War Memorial and Alton.
We also provide services in Basingstoke, Eastleigh, Tadley & Winchester
This service may be provided by other NHS Trust's at your local hospital.