skip to main content
Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust Southern Health Covid-19 Service Changes

Transition to Adult Health Services

Transition in health services is the gradual preparation and transfer of care from children’s to adult health services.  Every health service works differently and will assess to determine the best journey to meet your child’s individual needs.

Every young person has different health needs and therefore, their journey through transition will differ.

Your child may be receiving a wide variety of services. They may see a community paediatrician, receive therapy services and/or have support from Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).

Your child’s health professionals will talk to you about what on-going healthcare needs your child will need into adulthood; and consider who is best placed to meet these and how to refer to these services.   

For some young people, the individual’s health needs will solely be met by their GP.

For others, they make require acute health services, or a specialist learning disability and/or mental health service.  It is also important to consider medical equipment your child will need in the future and ascertain with the current provider, who will provide or oversee this transition.   

Mental Capacity Act

The Mental Capacity Act (MCA) is a significant law for people with a learning disability from age 16.  It protects people’s rights to make their own choices and helps make sure that people, who are unable to make their own choices, get the support they need to make those decisions.

Under the MCA, no one can give consent on behalf of another adult.  Where the individual is not able to make their own decision, the person caring or giving treatment must decide what is in their best interests. For bigger decisions they may involve a team of people, including family and friends and use the best interest checklist.

Annual Health Check

This applies to people aged 14 and over who have been assessed as having moderate, severe or profound learning disabilities, or people with a mild learning disability who have other complex health need.

The GP practice will carry out the annual health check. This can include a physical examination, medication check, assessment of health needs and review of support. 

Social Provision

For information and advice about the provision of social support, accommodation, activities, daily living and funding, please contact Hampshire's Contact & Resolution Team (known as Adult Services). 

Telephone number: 0300 555 1386

Independent Futures Team

This team works with young people to increase their independence and plan for their future.  The work with young people living in the Hampshire local authority areas:

  • -Who have significant disabilities and complex support needs and
  • -Who need support to move into adulthood and
  • -Who are eligible for adult social care support.

This may be as early as age 14 but will often be at age 16 or 17. 

Telephone number: 0300 555 1386

More Children's Services

Page Comments