What is Gambling Disorder?
About the service
Southern Health is offering a new specialist service providing evidence-based treatment to people with gambling-related harms / gambling disorder.
It is funded by NHS England.
What we do
The Southern Gambling Service offers high quality assessment and evidence-based treatments for people with gambling-related harms / gambling disorder.
It will offer 3 main treatment pathways:
- Individual psychotherapy (delivered virtually or in person)
- Group psychotherapy (delivered virtually or in person)
- Medication for problematic gambling.
Psychological support is offered in the form of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and other evidence-based approaches.
The service has a strong focus on using digital approaches to deliver high quality care, including asking patients to complete questionnaires via a secure online portal as part of the assessment and treatment process and the use of video-consultations when appropriate.
The service is staffed by a multidisciplinary team: consultant psychiatrist(s), consultant psychologist(s), clinical therapist(s), peer support worker(s), as well as administrative and other support staff.
Accessing the service
The service is open to people aged 17 and older with gambling-related harms / gambling disorder, who meet our referral criteria and consent to seeing our team. We consider referrals for people living in or registered with a GP in the following geographical areas:
Hampshire and Isle of Wight
Sussex from the 4th March 2024
Kent and Medway from the 3rd June 2024
- If you are a person affected by gambling-related harms / gambling disorder, you can self refer using our online form here: Southern Gambling Service patient referral form :: Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust
- If you are a registered healthcare professional wishing to refer a patient with gambling-related harms/gambling disorder, you can fill in our online form here: Southern Gambling Service professional referral form :: Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust.
You can also download a copy of the professional referral form here and complete it on behalf of a patient at a time that suits you.
If you have any questions about completing a referral or specific referral criteria please contact the team by emailing: email@example.com.
Referral from voluntary and community sector organisations (VCS)
If you are working in a VCS and wish to refer a person to the service, please ask the person affected by gambling-related harms/gambling disorder to complete a self-referral form (with your assistance where appropriate).
Please email SouthernGamblingService@southernhealth.nhs.uk
Out of hours
Southern Gambling Service is a 09:00-17:00 Mon-Fri Service, any out of hours should be directed to NHS 111.