Informizely customer feedback surveys

[Skip to content]

Southern Health 70 years of the NHS; 1948 - 2018
Search our Site

Frequently asked questions

These are a few questions which are commonly raised with the Complaints and Patient Experience Team. Please contact us if your question isn't answered below.

If I make a complaint will it negatively affect my care and treatment?

Absolutely not.  The Trust sees complaints  as an opportunity to improve our services and they should not have any detrimental effects on the person making the complaint.  Complaints are not held on service users’ medical records.  Please contact us if you feel that the service you have received has been affected following making a complaint.

Can I ask for information about the care and treatment of my relative?

The Complaints and Patient Experience Team like all of of the staff working for Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust, have a duty of confidentiality to our service users.  This means that we will not share information about a service user without their permission to do so.  This does not mean that we will not look into the concerns of relatives or friends about a service user’s care and treatment, but it does mean that we will not always be able to share the full results of our investigations.

Can I have access to my medical records?

Yes. Under the Data Protection Act 1998, everyone has the right to request to view their medical records. There are costs involved if the records need to be copied, and there are some restrictions (for example third party information will never be shared without permission). If you would like further information, please refer to our Trust Policy: Access to Personal - Clinical Records Procedure 

For more information or if you have any queries, please contact our Information Assurance Team

Can I request to change my consultant?

A service user is entitled to request a change of consultant should they not be happy with their current consultant.  This can be done by making a request to the service that you are using.  The Complaints and Patient Experience Team can help you to make this request should you need any support.  A request to change consultant will always be considered if requested, but will not always be agreed, depending on the team’s assessment regarding the best interests of the service user. 

How do I request a second opinion?

All service users are entitled to request a second opinion should they not be happy with their diagnosis or medication.  This request should be made to the service directly, however the Complaints and Patient Experience Team can help you to make this request should you need support.

How do I make a complaint about a dentist, GP or general hospital?

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust's Complaints and Patient Experience Team can only help with queries or concerns relating to community health, mental health,learning disability and social care services, as provided by this Trust. All queries regarding other NHS services should be addressed to the relevant Complaints department of that Trust. If you are not sure which organisation provides a particular service, please contact us and we will advise you.

How can I get a referral to Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust's Services?

Generally, referrals to this Trust come from a service user's GP.  If you feel that you need to be referred to this Trust then your GP should be able to offer advice and, make a referral, if it is deemed appropriate.