Informizely customer feedback surveys

[Skip to content]

Southern Health 70 years of the NHS; 1948 - 2018
Search our Site

Financial help for carers

There are a range of benefits, tax credits and other financial support that you may be entitled to as a carer. 

Picture of some notes and coins

Carer’s allowance

The main benefit available to carers is Carer’s Allowance. It’s a state benefit which provides a weekly payment to support you in your caring role. The allowance is for people who care for someone with a severe disability. You can’t be in full time education or earn over a certain amount of money to claim the benefit. You must also be:

  • Aged 16 or over

  • Caring for someone at least 35 hours a week

There are some other criteria that also apply. You can check to see if you would qualify on the Directgovwebsite. The PrincessRoyal Trust for Carers also has helpful information on who can claim the benefit.

To make a claim for Carer’s Allowance, you can either complete a paper form (form DS700 or DS700(SP) if you’re on a state retirement pension) or make an online claim via the Directgov website.

If you’re encountering any problems completing forms either online or on paper, you can call the Benefit EnquiryLine on 0800 882 200 – it’s open Monday to Friday, 8.30am-6.30pm.  

Other forms of financial support

There are also other forms of financial support available to carers, which can enhance existing benefits or credits and provide additional support. Some of those include:

  • Carer’s Credits

  • Income Support – Carer’s Allowance

  • Tax Credits

You can find out more about what you’re entitled to on the Directgov website.

I would like to:

Get a carers assessment

Get advice for carers

Find contacts for carers

Related information

Find services

Your health and wellbeing

Useful websites

Directgov (guide to financial support for carers)

The Princess Royal Trust for Carers (guide to money and benefits)

Carers UK (help with money)

Carers in Southampton