[Skip to content]

Southern Health
Search our Site

Community Learning Disability Services

Our Community Learning Disability Teams provide support and care services for adults with learning disabilities.

Carer working with a female service user, chopping vegetables

We work closely with local councils to provide services in Hampshire, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire.

In Hampshire, we run this service in partnership with Hampshire County Council Adult Services. In Southampton, we run this service independently, but still work closely with Southampton City Council.

Our teams in Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire also work with young adults from the age of 16 who are moving from children's to adult services.

Who is this service for?

Everyone over the age of 18 with a learning disability is entitled to an assessment of their needs.

Support with health care needs is provided for adults who:

  • have a significant impairment of intellectual functioning (i.e. an IQ under 70), and

  • need significant assistance with day-to-day living skills, and  

  • have a recognised learning disability from childhood.

We support people with a learning disability to access mainstream (often called primary or secondary) health services, and also offer more specialist assessment and intervention relating to:

  • Behaviour which challenges services

  • Mental health

  • Epilepsy

  • Autism

  • Forensic needs

  • Complex health needs

Find out more about our Intensive Support and Assertive Outreach teams.

Support for social care needs is provided by your Local Authority, and is assessed using government guidance called ‘Fair Access to Care’. More information on this can be found on the Department of Health or Hampshire County Council websites.

If you're not eligible for support from our services, we will always try to offer you advice on where you can get help.

Get access to this service

Anyone can make a referral to their local Community Learning Disability Team for assessment and intervention.

If you are over the age of 18 and have a learning disability, you can refer yourself. Other people who may refer to our service include relatives or support workers, a doctor or another service such as an advocate or college tutor.

If you want to know more about any of the services we provide, please contact us.  

How we can help     

Our teams include a range of health and social care professionals. Some of the ways we can help include:

  • Assessing your individual needs,
  • Developing a personalised care and support plan
  • Providing you, your family, staff and organisations with advice and information (sometimes this may include training)
  • Assessing the needs of your carer(s)
  • Arranging respite services
  • Making referrals to other health and social care services on your behalf

Sometimes a persons’ health needs mean it may be appropriate to provide more assessment and intervention than is usually offered by our community teams.

If this is the case, we may involve our Intensive Support Teams to help gather more information or deliver interventions more frequently.