Top tips and information include;
- The Equality Act 2010 supports your right to breastfeed in any public place.
- If members of the public comment or complain about a mum breastfeeding in public it is for them to remove themselves from the situation, not you.
- If you feel conscious about feeding in public, maybe think about your clothing-some women feel more relaxed tucking their baby under a shirt/scarf/muslin for a breastfeed, other women might prefer to choose a quieter area of a cafe/library etc.
- Go with a friend or family member.
- If you find a venue that offers a particularly warm welcome to you, tell your friends.
- Seek out whether there is a breastfeeding welcome scheme in your area.
- The more women who breastfeed in public, the greater understanding the public will have about breastfeeding being the normal way to feed a baby.
Breastfeeding in Public
Meet four mums whose babies have been breastfeeding for a little while and hear their experiences. Linda was troubled by breastfeeding outside the home until she tried it. "I thought 'nobody breastfeeds in public"' she says. "what I realised is, loads of women breastfeed in public, you just don't realise it's happening."
Breastfeeding Welcome Schemes
We welcome breastfeeding in all our facilities and are working across Hampshire to encourage cafés, restaurants and other public facilities to advertise their Breastfeeding Welcome too. You can find out more about the BF Welcome in the following areas
Winchester - City and Rural
Discover Places to Breastfeed
FeedFinder has been designed at Newcastle University with breastfeeding mothers to provide a convenient tool for finding and sharing good places for breastfeeding. It shows you on a handy map all of the places near you that have been reviewed by other mothers. Every recommended place on the map will have been reviewed by someone who is breastfeeding. You'll be able to see how they have rated it plus handy comments about their experience such as whether they have toys or a menu for children. You can also add your own comments and venues. Download the app here.