The ward has been modernised and redecorated, making the environment more therapeutic and pleasant for patients and staff.
- A number of internal walls have been removed to make the ward brighter and improve lines of sight and overall visibility.
- New lighting, higher ceilings and new flooring have been installed throughout.
- A brand new reception area has been created to welcome visitors.
- The communal spaces – such as the dining room, male and female lounges, art room, games room, therapy rooms, and courtyard garden – have all been updated, as have the private bedrooms. These spaces have flush-fitting door furniture, anti-barricade doors and electronic taps on basins and baths to make the environment even safer.
- Anti-climb guttering was installed on the roofs around the courtyard.
Melbury Lodge was originally built in the mid-1990s and, at the time, provided our patients with state-of-the-art accommodation. Thirty years on, Kingsley Ward was showing its age and several inspections highlighted that improvement work was required.
During the works, patients were temporarily cared for locally at Southampton Woodhaven Hospital and The Priory in Marchwood.
Kingsley Ward is an acute inpatient service. The 25-bed ward cares for those aged 18-65 who can no longer be supported at home and need to be admitted to hospital as a result of severe mental health problems.