[Skip to content]

Southern Health
Search our Site

Alcohol and drugs

If you’re concerned, there are lots of places to get advice

If you’re concerned about the way you, or someone you care about, is using substances such as drugs or alcohol then there are lots of places to get help or advice.


You can speak to your GP who will be able to advise you what services are available in your local area. It’s important for you to be honest in order for you to get the right support – remember; anything you say to your GP will be in confidence.

If you don’t feel comfortable speaking to your GP, or want to find help elsewhere, you can contact a support group or charity, such as:

Talking to someone about a problem with drugs or alcohol can feel like a difficult step to take – but it’s the first step to getting better.

Safer drinking for older people

Many experts believe that safer drinking levels should become lower with age.

Alcohol can have a stronger effect as you get older because of the way your body changes as you get older. Find out more on our alcohol and older people page.  

Severe problems with drug or alcohol use

Our drug and alcohol misuse service helps people who have problems controlling their use of street drugs (such as heroin, or cocaine) and/or alcohol. Those using this service will also have complex needs, and might be involved in risk-taking behaviour, like needle sharing.

You can ask your GP about being referred to this service, or you can also refer yourself. Get further information on our substance misuse service page.